Friday, February 13, 2009

Valentines

I sent the girls off to school today, laden with Valentines, candy and cookies. I always get a little wistful as I watch them from the window, walking down our street together, laughing and talking. Time goes by so fast. I try and tuck away little moments like that in my heart and memory, to be taken out another day when my girls are not so little anymore.

We had a fun night yesterday preparing for the Valentine's exchanges. Frosting cookies, decorating oatmeal containers, and hot gluing googly eyes on Tootsie Roll Pops. Madelyn has been staying up 1/2 hour later then her sisters since she turned 11. Sometimes I just wish everyone was in bed at 8:30 so I could get on with my business, but at other times it's great to have her to myself for a few minutes. As she was helping me with the googly eye project she had me cracking up, impersonating her bus driver and the trouble-makers that drive the lady insane. Madelyn got her a special valentine to try and soften her up.

Last night was also a special Valentine's dinner for couples only, put on by our ward's Elders Quorum. Sometimes the Elders Quorum gets a bad rap for not putting a lot of effort into their activities and lessons. That doesn't seem to be the case here, though. Jon and I both enjoy going to our respective meetings, and dutifully trade off Hope-watch each Sunday so we can at least attend every other week. This dinner the EQ put on was delightful. They had the cultural hall decorated with hearts and cupids and streamers flowing from the basketball hoop across the ceiling and over our heads. The men prepared pans of regular and vegetarian lasagna, rolls, and a big salad with oranges and candied almonds. Very impressive. They say the menu doesn't vary from year to year, but they try to get creative with the decorations. But hey - when you've got a good thing going, there's no point in rocking the boat.

Anyway, in order for Jon and I to enjoy this adult evening, we decided to let the kids babysit themselves. Gasp! We left Madelyn in charge of Emma at home, and we brought Cailin to church with us to watch Hope in the nursery. It worked out pretty good, and was a relief to not have to worry about lining up a babysitter. Another year or so, and I think we can leave them all at home. What a beautiful thing!

One more thing to mention in this uncharacteristically long post: I've been thinking about what fun things we can do for Valentine's Day tomorrow, and I'm liking this party idea found here. The heart pizzas are so cute, and my girls will get really excited if I make an actual party invitation, with ideas for games and everything. The only thing it's missing is maybe a little fondue...

2 comments:

The Mink Family said...

Those cookies look awesome!! The googly-eyed butterfly valentines are darling!!

Cassavaugh Family said...

I keep hearing that everyone enjoyed the EQ dinner. SO in our 3 years of being here we have never made it. This year, the boys had swimming and then after that I rushed over to the same meeting Jon did. So . . . Anyway, maybe next year. But even then I doubt Dan will handle Sam on his own. Oh well.