Sunday, February 22, 2009

Meet the Mormons

This sign in front of our church building makes me laugh. The "Meet the Mormons" header was at first sight a little surprising - considering we don't officially refer to ourselves as Mormons, and the way it makes me feel like a foreign species. But in time, it's grown on me, and now it seems folksy and cute. Our ward is having an open house this Saturday. There is a cleaning activity in the morning, then booths will be set up for all the different auxilliaries, along with informational posters set up in the cultural hall. We can invite friends for a personal tour earlier in the day, or people can come with the general public in the afternoon. Being that I am a ward missionary, it would be a great day for me to actually do something pertaining to my calling. I even gave a talk in Sacrament Meeting today about stepping up and sharing the gospel. I have a conflict, however. A few weeks ago we made plans to spend Saturday with my brother and his family at a time share. Besides the fun family time, the indoor pool and the window shopping, Jon and I were going to get a bit of time on our own to celebrate our 12th anniversary. Thus, my conscience is conflicted. What would you do?

3 comments:

Kristie said...

OK, If you've been reading my blog at all you'd know the answer to that question...go to Sybaris!!!

Chieko said...

We already made a plan from many months ago, and we'll stick to it. I'll still try to invite my friends though.
BTW, I like the word you used "folksy". It sounded cute.

Cassavaugh Family said...

NO CONTEST - family first right?

Um, I liked your comment about the sign in your talk. Folksy, hometown. . . I must say first time I saw it, was WHAT? Thanks for taking the picture, I was going to. I pass it multiple times a day and I'm sorry to say it still has not grown on me. I have been a ward missionary, regular missionary and I'm feeling so torn myself. This week is extremely full and aside from the boys swimming lessons saturday I really feel the need to kick back just a bit and not any anything more than than watch Debbie & Bobby's kids so they can get a little late birthday celebration date.

Dan being a good doobie will be inviting a friend. We will see what happens.