Monday, December 1, 2008

The Snow Day that Wasn't

Sunday night we got a nice covering of snow. Several inches piled up in our yard, with more to come this week. Rumors were flying that school would be cancelled on Monday, and our girls were excited. They normally don't get home from school until after 4 p.m, which doesn't leave a lot of time for building snowmen and shoveling our driveway with their new "Black Friday" kid shovel purchases.

We called the elementary school in the morning to find out the snow day prognosis and were happy to hear a recording informing us the schools were closed due to weather! We let the kids sleep in, Jon spent an hour shoveling, then we all enjoyed a nice hot breakfast together. The girls spent the day outside, and only occasionally wondered to each other, why the neighbor children were not outside playing. They shrugged their shoulders and assumed they were perhaps away on an extended Thanksgiving vacation. Just after 4, the girls were again outside and were shocked and dismayed to see the neighbor boys coming from from school.

Apparently the recording was a mistake and my girls played hookey all day. Our naive snow sensibilities took for granted the recording was on the up and up. I called the school and explained our mistake, and the secretary assured us they would not mark the girls as absent since it was thier false recording that kept us at home. I have to wonder, were we the only ones duped? My school-loving children were upset they missed a day, and a little apprehensive to explain to their friends and teachers why they stayed home and played in the snow all day. I think it was actually pretty fun, and I'm glad they had a great day playing hookey.

3 comments:

Debbie and Bobby said...

How funny! I probably would have been like them and been upset I missed school too.

Cassavaugh Family said...

OH that is great! I had kind of hoped for one to have a Christmas decorating party with the kids all day. But turned out we took Dan but Sam stayed home with me as he has pink eye now. The day just didn't go like I had envisioned. Your day sounds blissfully fun.

Robb said...

Key difference between my kids and yours...mine would have been very excited to miss the day and would have constantly reminded us that it was pretty much our fault that they did! But when dad's their principal and snow is very rarely in our forecast...I don't see this happening! Poor kids!