Thursday, July 31, 2008

Emma's Nearly 6 Party

This girl of mine will turn 6 tomorrow. We celebrated today, since we will be on the road again at the crack of dawn. Jon's family loves these "pink cookies" made from Larry's House of Cakes in Marion, IL. We bought 3 dozen and made a cookie cake for Em. I also bought myself a Cream Horn. I almost fainted from pure delight. There was cream on my nose, around my mouth, powdered sugar dusting my shirt...I digress...back to the birthday girl.

We had to get creative to make the candles stay upright on the hardened icing. We held a caramel till it got nice and soft, then pulled off small pieces and made little balls to hold the candles and stick to the cookies. It worked well. Mostly. After I lit the candles, I got a little anxious that my fingers were going to get burned by the dwindling match. I hurried and blew it out, simutaneously blowing out Emma's lit birthday candles. Oops. I didn't even get to make a wish. They lit easier the second time anyway.

After the first round of cookie-eating we fed some nice ducks.

Then came the geese. They were large and in charge.

We ran from them.

But they weren't really that bad after all. Emma has been wanting to meet "the other Emma" cousin for a very long time. Emma and Emma Kate became fast friends, even if they both have to come running anytime an Emma is called for.

Just before we left for the party we were at the mall and the kids were asking for quarters to buy sweets from a candy machine. Jon told Emma she could have one if she could tell him which president's face was on the coin. She asked sweetly, "President Gordon B. Hinckley"? We gave her the quarter anyway. It is her birthday, after all. Almost.

3 comments:

Debbie and Bobby said...

Looks like you guys have had a great summer. It was great to finally meet you and your family today! I look forward to getting to know your girls in primary and you and Hope too (in the "mothers lounge")!

OH, also there is playgroup each Tuesday, I'm not sure if Aimee told you that (she heads it up). Here are the remainder playgroup locations. If you have any questions let me know!
August 5 Herrick Park in Clare
August 12 (I'm not sure about this date)
August 19 Chipp-A-Waters Park
August 26 MacDonald Park

Aleisha said...

I love all the pics. Thanks for sharing. I am so glad you have a blog. It is so fun to read and I love to hear about all your experiences and see your cute kids. Then I don't feel like such a stranger to my own cousin. It is Wonderful. Love ya.

Anonymous said...

You get some of the cutest pictures! I love them.

You have had one crazy summer. It looks like you have had a lot of fun!