Sunday, August 31, 2008

Landed at Last!

This is it. The key to our castle. We have a lawn to mow, a roof to replace and a mortgage to pay; but we also have a wonderful place to truly call "home".

We packed up all our belongings for the sixth time this summer, then drove about 10 minutes to what we hope will be their final resting place. It took only 3 trips in our van, then Jon and Madelyn took a final trip on Saturday after emptying the final odds and ends and cleaning our apartment. While they erased our month's existence at campus housing I did a little putting away at home.

This is the beginnings of my laundry/dressing area in our basement. It's working pretty well so far, but Jon is still not sold on the idea of having his jeans underground. I don't have adequate shelving for his jeans yet, anyway. We'll see what we can work out in the next little while. Our U-packs are being delivered on Tuesday afternoon, so until my grandma's loveseat and dining room table arrive, we are completely barren of furniture on the main floor. It will be awhile before we can afford to do much changing or furniture arranging, so in the meantime we can dream up exactly what we would like to do. Believe me, there is plenty.

My Aquabats loving kids are thrilled with our home, and have spent lots of time playing at the ice cream bar and sliding down the stairs in sleeping bags. Out neighbors have 11- and 7-year old boys that are very nice. The kids enjoyed chatting with them last night. It's great to be home!

7 comments:

Robb said...

Congratulations! I am so happy to hear about your latest move. The Aquabats comment and picture just made me laugh!!!

Manama mama said...

Hi Kristin--I finally figured out how to leave comments and thought I would leave my very first blog comment ever in honor of your home purchase: Congratulations!!! Here's to lots of happy memories in your new home. :) Also, one of my friends does a "family closet" and LOVES it--hope you can get Jon onboard!

Shari said...

Congratulations on the house. You are now what is called house poor the rest of your life. I'm so happy for you and your family. You will love the grass and the roof and the mortgage. Are the girls in school yet? Shari

Kristin said...

Thanks, Robb. :)

Manama Mama: Is that you, Laura? Great to hear from you! How is Bahrain?

Hi Shari! School starts tomorrow. The kids are very nervous and excited.

Aleisha said...

Congrats! I am so excited for you.

jennifer said...

I cannot imagine packing and un-packing 6 times in one summer! You must be supermom. Congrats on the new home. I'm totally jealous of that lovely dressing area, basement, storage closet set-up.

Manama mama said...

Yes, Manama Mama is me--I haven't posted a profile picture yet. Maybe someday I'll even have my own blog. Baby steps.....
It's fun to see the beginnings of the move-in. Virtual unpacking is much less painful than the real thing. I'm still kind of secretly wishing that some of the stuff I thought I just couldn't live without had fallen off the boat and was bobbing along somewhere in the Atlantic. :) Happy settling- in! Love, Laura