Saturday, April 25, 2009

Maple Syrup Festival

Look! It's another picture of Hope eating a pancake! Hope has a very boring eating repertoire. She normally gets oatmeal and applesauce for breakfast, banana snack, cheese sandwich lunch, yogurt snack, and scrambled egg dinner every day. Lately she has been rebelling against the same ol' same ol', however, by fist squishing and chucking overboard her old favorites.

This morning we were planning on going to the Maple Syrup Festival in a nearby town. Everyone woke up a tad bit grumpy, however, so I made pancakes at home instead of indulging in being served all you can eat cakes with real maple syrup and homemade sausage at the festival. They turned out all right. Except for the batch that I forgot to put baking powder in. I was distracted by yelling at Madelyn who was yelling at me because Emma had been yelling at her to get her out of bed. It was unpleasant. So were the flat pancakes.

I figured I had used about half the batter with my first skillet disaster, so I just added 1 tsp powder to the remaining batter, and they were edible. I wanted to try this recipe from Every Day Food Storage, where you blend up whole wheat kernels in a blender. I will definitely try them again, but next time with my head on straight. Hope happily ate 3 of them.

Blender Wheat Pancakes

1 Cup Milk (translation for powdered milk is 3 T. Milk and 1 C. Water)
1 Cup Wheat Kernels, whole & uncooked
2 Eggs (2 T. powdered eggs 1/4 C. Water)
2 tsp Baking Powder
1-1/2 tsp Salt
2 Tbs. Oil
2 Tbs. Honey or Sugar

Put milk and wheat kernels in blender.Blend on highest speed for 4 or 5 minutes or until batter is smooth. Add eggs, oil, baking powder, salt and honey or sugar to above batter. Blend on low. Pour out batter into pancakes from the actual blender jar (only one thing to wash!) onto a hot greased or Pam prepared griddle or large frying pan.Cook; flipping pancakes when bubbles pop and create holes.


We still made it to the festival after everyone had eaten and had a little emotional cool down period. The festival is also famous for all the garage sales that happen in the area the same weekend. We spent a good 3 hours following signs and yard hopping, looking for treasures. I found a great stash of baby girl clothes, and couldn't pass up the above freebie on the side of the road. It needed me.

1 comment:

Kristie said...

I wonder if that recipe would work with buckwhaet kernels...hmmmm.