I used my new wheat grinder today for the first time. After cracking open one can from my small stash of wheat, I nervously poured a few cups of wheat berries into the hopper and watched as they began to trickle away and disappear into the mill. I put the small lid on top of the hopper, and then made the mistake of peeking too soon into the mill to see if the wheat had all gone through. I got a face full of dust, and soon learned to listen instead of look to know when the wheat had all been ground.
I've been reading about gluten, and wondered if I should get some to make my bread more light and fluffy. Maybe that's only necessary with 100% whole wheat bread. I used our family's tried and true recipe, which has 1/2 wheat, 1/2 white flour. I'm assuming the gluten in the white flour is sufficient, because my bread made today from my freshly ground wheat flour was incredible. I even messed up the recipe and put in too little flour. This is a great fool-proof, no rolling wheat bread dough. It is super wet, though. You definitely need to mix it in a Bosch or Kitchen Aid, then just scoop the dough up and put in your pans.Bosch Brown Bread
2 TBSP yeast
1/2 c warm water
6 c wheat flour
2/3 c oil
2/3 c honey
2 TBSP salt
5 c hot water
6 c white (or wheat) flour
*I added 2/3 c dry powdered milk, just as an experiment, and think it may have improved the taste of the original recipe! Maybe it even helped my mistake of too little flour.
Combine yeast and 1/2 c water in bowl. Let rest for 2 minutes. Add everything but the white flour and mix well. Then add white flour. Knead 10 minutes. Divide into 4 greased and floured pans. Let rise 1/3 and bake at 350 for 40 minutes.
Now if only someone were home to help me clean up this mess...


5 comments:
Wish I was there to eat it:) Looks delicious!
Looks yummy! I do use gluten in my bread, I'm too chicken to try it wothout (maybe I should be more like the 'Little Red Hen':-)
mmmm, yummy! I have to try mine out, only I think I'm only going to do gluten-free in it.
Funny! We did the same thing. A good friend posted her latest favorite wheat bread recipe last friday. It too uses part white and part wheat. So sunday after church I had a grinding party with all the boys, getting to each add a cup of berries. Then soon after that I took a much needed nap. Instead of waking to a colorful sea of blankets and scarves I woke to the smell of fresh bread baking in the oven! Life is good.
Post a Comment