
My mom gave me two movies for Christmas. One of which was "The Errand of Angels" - which I mentioned in an earlier post. I loved it! I could really see my friend, whose missionary journal is the inspiration for the movie, in the main character. So much fun to see that. Loved the surprise twist at the end with the mystery baptism.
The other movie I was given was "Emma Smith: My Story". I hadn't gotten around to watching this one until Sunday. Church was cancelled due to freezing rain and very slippery streets, so we had a little extra time on our hands. That, and having the elders and sister missionaries call and ask if they could come watch the movie, provided the perfect opportunity for a little Sabbath cinematic viewing. I have always had a soft place in my heart for Emma Smith. Approximately 6 years ago I was reading her biography while pregnant with my third little girl. Every time Joseph spoke of his "ever affectionate Emma", it seemed to me the words "Emma" and "love" were pretty much interchangeable. So I fell in love with the name, and thus, our Emma was also given her name.Back to this beautiful movie: it was so sweet, and heartbreaking, and moving. I could feel the emotional momentum building towards the end, and was grateful I had to leave the movie to take dinner out of the oven and fuss around upstairs for a few minutes. By the time I was done, so was the movie. Everyone came up, the missionaries left for their own dinner appointments, and I was free to watch the end of "Emma" by myself. I like to sob in private. And I did. And I love and appreciate Emma Smith all the more.


2 comments:
I would LOVE to see the Emma story. Don't know if you are willing to loan but what about a temporary exchange? We received the Pres Hinckley Story for Christmas. Maybe you have seen it. It was our sunday movie with church being cancelled. I didn't get to cry in private while watching but it was great! I would love to let you borrow it if you haven't seen it.
OH I would love to see both of those! Can you put me on your list of borrowers?
Post a Comment