Sunday, June 1, 2008

Rice Pudding

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways...


You are cheap and easy
You use up my leftover rice
You consist of things I always have in my fridge and pantry
You are a wonderful reason to indulge in a dollop of whipped cream
You remind me of my Spanish-speaking mission to Chicago
You are charming with a sprinkling of cinnamon on top
You are creamy and delicious

Stovetop Rice Pudding
1 1/2 c cooked rice
2 c milk, divided
1/3 c sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 egg, beaten
1 TBSP butter
1/2 tsp vanilla
dash cinnamon

Combine rice and 1 1/2 c milk, sugar and salt in heavy saucepan. Cook over medium heat. Stir occasionally until thick and creamy, 10-20 minutes. Blend remaining half cup milk and egg. Stir into rice mixture. Cook 2 minutes longer, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat. Add butter and vanilla. Spoon into serving dishes. Sprinkle with cinnamon and add a dollop of whipped cream for good measure.

1 comment:

Aleisha said...

ooh that looks good. I have leftover rice in my fridge right now!!! Yeah!