Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Zuke Cake

We've been enjoying some friends' zucchini surpluses these last few weeks. I've made this cake twice, and it is great. Tonight I turned it into a punch bowl cake (crumbled and layered with chocolate pudding and whipped cream) and brought it to our RS picnic. Very tasty!

Chocolate Zucchini Cake

1/2 c butter
1/2 c vegetable oil
1 3/4 c granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
2 large eggs
1/2 c yogurt
2 1/2 c flour
3/4 c Dutch-process cocoa
2 c shredded zucchini (about one 10" zucchini, about 12 ounces)
1/2 c chocolate chips

Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly grease a 9" x 13" pan.

In a large mixing bowl, cream together the butter, oil, sugar, vanilla, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Beat in the eggs.

Stir in the yogurt alternately with the flour. Then add the cocoa, mixing till smooth. Finally, fold in the zucchini and 1/2 cup chocolate chips.

Spoon the batter into the prepared pan. Bake the cake for 35-40 minutes, till the top springs back lightly when touched, or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool on a rack. Top with whipped cream

2 comments:

Cassavaugh Family said...

OH, that looks yummy. SO sorry I missed the RS event.

Debbie and Bobby said...

MMM thanks for posting the recipe...now I can indulge even more!