Friday, October 10, 2008

The Garden

With Fall rapidly taking over, I was surprised to see my little flower garden in bloom this morning.

Lots of pink and purple somethings back here.

Here is the view of the flower bed from the back door. It used to span the whole yard, making a colorful "fence" between our yard and the neighbor's. In recent years, however, the caretaker of the house mowed over half and planted grass - not wanting to take time to discriminate between weed and flower. I can understand that. I have no idea what I'm looking at. My dilemma now is, if I want to plow up the whole garden and instead plant some vegetables. The flowers are much prettier, but if I'm going to do any gardening it will be utilitarian. I'm only in it for the food. The other sides of the property get a lot of shade - so this is probably my best spot if I want to try my hand at some veggies. But the flowers! The flowers!

I'm glad I have a winter to think it over. In the meantime I will be making lots of soups, and dreaming of the vegetables I could be growing in the back yard to put in said soups. I bought this soup tureen at a yard sale this morning for $10. So pretty. Life is good when you've got a tureen on the table.

3 comments:

Manama mama said...

What a good find on the tureen! So pretty! I love garage sales.
You could possibly do a combo-thing with the garden. My mom used to plant marigolds in our vegetable garden. It was supposed to keep some kind of bug away or something, but at any rate it was really pretty. We had big sunflowers too.
We're just about ready to start planting here now that it's cooled down-- wish me luck!

Debbie and Bobby said...

Kristin, love the pictures of the yard. If you haven't caught it yet, I sent you an email. I'm wondering if you could sub for sunbeams. If you can take a look that would be great! Thanks!

Kristin said...

That's a good idea to keep some flowers with the vegetables. I'll have to look into the marigold thing! Let me know how your garden does. :)