Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Patrick Shmatrick


Yesterday as the girls got home from school they were already talking excitedly about St. Patricks day: "Do we have enough green?" "Will the leprechauns visit?"

I told them I put leprechaun pesticide around the house, so they wouldn't come inside and do any shenanigans like they do at this house. It's cute - but I haven't got the energy. I thought it would be fun to fill the girls' shoes with a green treat - but I got distracted when Jon and I decided to watch "The Dark Knight". Cool movie, late night, forgot all about green treats.

I felt really bad when I realized Madelyn had made all these signs to welcome the leprechauns, in hopes they would be able to overcome the fake pesticide around the house. Didn't happen.

I would make a festive green dinner to make up for my St. Patricks Day humbug attitude, but I don't think my family will eat green food.

Split pea soup - awesome for me, no one else will touch it
Green mashed potatoes - they detest mashed potatoes
Green eggs and ham - a little too slimy even for me
Green grapes - they prefer red; it's a mental thing
Green milk - they won't drink it unless it's chocolate; thus negating any green effect

You see my problem.

Epiphany! Green dessert... I'm thinking mint Oreo cookie crust, vanilla ice cream topped with chocolate syrup topped with Cool Whip tinted green.

Are you a leprechaun enthusiast or fellow fumigator?

3 comments:

The Mink Family said...

Too funny! Well... to answer your question..... Isabel woke up this morning to green pancakes.. and yes.... green eggs! In her lunch she will be surprised with shamrock confetti that I snuck in there. I haven't decided what to do for dinner... but be assured.. it will be green! I guess I'm an enthusiast!! But.... maybe we'll come to your house for desert!! haha!

mj said...

We usually have corned beef and cabbage for dinner (family tradition), then a green desert. This year we're doing a rainbow cake instead, though. S keeps talking about wanting to follow a rainbow to find a pot of gold to give to "poor people."

jennifer said...

i'm thinking we're on the enthusiast side of st. patty's day. your oreo/mint dessert sounds delish! but i'm still feelin' bad for those cute cute kids!

what about green:

- pancakes
- waffles
- maybe some green butter to go on your pancakes and waffles???
- mint ice cream milkshakes
- smoothies (real fruit + lime yogurt + a little food coloring)

will they eat any of those things?

or how about an "irish" themed dinner - irish potato feast/potato bar?