Friday, May 8, 2009

Black Forestish Cake

Black Forest Cake was my favorite birthday cake growing up... right behind Baskin Robbins Chocolate and Mint-n-Chip Ice Cream Cake. I've been craving a little Black Forest goodness since my last birthday, and finally decided to whip one up to share with the missionaries who were coming over for dinner last night. I tried something new, because I had no desire to try and make a round layer cake, with all the unpredictable slippery shifting that comes with it.

I baked a devil's food cake in a 9x13" pan, then poked holes with a wooden spoon handle as soon as it came out of the oven. While the cake was baking I blended up some homemade sweetened condensed milk, than blended in half a can of cherry pie filling. I poured that over the hot cake, spreading well to make sure the mixture went into the holes in the cake. I refrigerated the cake overnight, then served with a dollop of fresh whipped cream and a spoonful of cherry pie filling.

This cake was delicious, moist and simple, and is still so yummy today. Happy Belated Birthday to me!

Sweetened Condensed Milk (14 oz can)

1/2 c hot water (I bring it to a boil in a mug in the microwave)
1 c dry powdered milk
1 c sugar
1 TBSP butter

Blend VERY WELL in a blender

1 comment:

Cassavaugh Family said...

WOW, looks wonderful. I would request it for mothers day but I already had Nick make a carrot cake I have been craving, for tomorrow. I will remember this though.