Saturday, March 8, 2008

Henry's Birthday


Hope and daddy


The girls


This is the second birthday we've celebrated for Henry, without Henry. We've tried to make it fun and lighthearted, to celebrate our love for him, and all the sweet memories we share of him. To start our day I left little gifts on the table for the girls, things that Henry would've had fun with as well. Last year we had matchbox car races. This year we blew bubbles and played harmonicas. Jon compared Cailin to a musical hobo, meandering the streets of Abu Dhabi, constantly zipping up and down her mouth organ. They have been composing all day - twangy duets, upbeat solos, dramatic trios. Cailin tried to compose a sad song, but after performing it for me announced that the harmonica is simply a happy instrument, and she is incapable of making it sound sad. Jon had a few things to do at school, so we blew our bubbles there in the university courtyard. It's a really pretty place, with lots of trees and greenery, and a little stream with a bridge. That's where we took the pictures above. The bottom picture is of the girls in a majlis (Arabic for "place of sitting") playing their harmonicas. they were pretending to be in some sort of musical palace. Madelyn was (of course) on the throne.

3 comments:

kwikmom said...

Kristin and family, I enjoyed very much reading all about your family and life in the UAE. The poem about Henry was so sweet - it touched my heart. I send my love in his memory. It will be good to have you back in the USA. Michigan is a good place to plop down. I am sure you mom will be very glad you will be closer. Thank you for sharing your life.

Debbie and Bobby said...

Kristin,

Good to meet you...in a round about way! technology can be a beautiful thing huh! I'm excited to hear that you will be moving to our area soon. What an adeventure to be in the Middle East. I have some friends who just recently moved to Rio Grande and have been hearing all about their adventures.

Where are you orignally from?

Feel free to email me any time. my email is littlesnack287@gmail.com.

As far as winter goes, well....just be glad you missed this one! My husband and I have grown up in Michigan (Detroit area) so we are pretty acclamated to the weather, but this was definintely the winteriest-winter we've had.

We've been in Mt. Pleasant for going on 3 years. The prior two winters were much milder, so it is kind of unpredictable. It isn't so bad though! Your family is beautiful and we will be excited for you to come. If we can help in anyway as you prepare to move let me know!

Debbie and Bobby said...

I forgot to say that we LOVE Mt. Pleasant. I mentioned we grew up in the Detroit area but we really enjoy life in Central Michigan. It is a nice little town; not too big, not too small. There are tons of parks, which we love and the seasons are beautiful.