Tuesday, February 12, 2008

I'm Late for a Very Important Date!


The kids' school puts on a musical every year. This year is Alice in Wonderland. Madelyn asked in the beginning of the year if she could please, please, please, try out for a part. I told her no, no, no, because we were expecting a new baby, and I was just not up to all the after school rehearsals. Madelyn had such a great attitude, though, and agreed to just be a "walk on" - she only had to do after school rehearsals the last week, even if it meant she was the sole 4th grader with all the 2nd grader walk ons. Still, she took her 2nd grade "buddy's" hand and enthusiastically did her part, and then also helped at lunch rehearsals with make-up, and any other little thing that needed to be done. The play is in two days, on the 14th. Today after school I learned there was a problem with the White Rabbit, and that Madelyn and another girl had been asked to take the role. Madelyn was ecstatic, to say the least.

So, we now have ONE day to learn a whole bunch of lines, bits of song, and where in the world she is supposed to stand on stage. The drama teacher said it's a great compliment that Madelyn was chosen, because this will require some serious last-minute dedication, and she will probably be stealing her out of class a lot tomorrow. So although I'm a little worried about how it can be possibly be put together at such the last moment, Madelyn's enthusiasm is catchy, and I'm certain she will do a great job. And, I'm happy she gets this opportunity to be the drama queen (or rabbit) she's always aspired to be.

2 comments:

mj said...

Congrats, Madelyn--how exciting!

folkswitch said...

I just happened upon your blog while wandering and I thought this was such a great story about a very resilient, optimistic, spirited child. I hope we get to hear about how the play went! Very cool.