Saturday, May 9, 2009

Chandy Facelift

I enjoyed giving our old 1950's brass chandelier a makeover yesterday. We spray painted it, then hung pretty things with fishing line.

Jon got the spray paint job. Doesn't it look like he is enjoying himself, too?

Here's a little before and after. It feels so light and happy. I love how it turned out. (You can click on the photo to enlarge)

This $1,000 chandelier from Anthropologie was my inspiration. I think my $25 makeover is just as pretty!

28 comments:

jennifer said...

wow! that was some transformation. it's beautiful! it was very down home rustic before and now super chic and modern. i love the blue crystals with your new yellow walls - such a great combination. and i have to say that i like yours better than the anthropologie inspiration. yours is prettier.

Chieko said...

That is BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!! Good job! You have such a wonderful taste and eyes for things!

Debbie and Bobby said...

Very chic MISS creative! Give me a little of that creative energy :o)

Jay said...

You are amazing! You can see what can be and then make it work! I love your new chandelier.

Kristin said...

Thanks, friends! I love your comments!

Unknown said...

You are sooo crafty...very cool. I don't think I'm capable of coming up with these ideas and putting them into action. :)

Jeanette said...

very pretty...i love it!

Carmen @ Life with Sprinkles on Top said...

Beautiful! I love it!

Anonymous said...

I actually think that your new lamp is prettier than the one from Anthro!

: ) Dee

Anonymous said...

Your lamp is so much better than the Anthropologie light! I love the contrast in color!

Mrs. Petrie said...

I really like the turquoise baubles! Do you switch them out for holidays?

Kristin said...

Mrs. Petrie - Thanks! It would be easy to switch out, just snip the fishing line and tie something new on - but we haven't had a holiday roll around since we made over our chandy, so I haven't given it much thought. But it is for sure a fun idea.

Amanda@Imperfectly Beautiful said...

Oh my!!! That is absolutely gorgeous. I think I like your version even better than Anthropologie...that's a HUGE compliment! Awesome makeover.

~Amanda

stephanie h said...

That turned out wonderfully! LOVE it!

Wendy said...

What an amazing difference!!! It looks so whimsical and sweet now. Great job!!

Jane said...

I actually like yours better! Less is more. So pretty!

Jenny@ L.O.T.s of Love said...

Didn't see that one coming! AMAZING!

Mrs. Jones said...

I never thought I'd say this, but now I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my ugly brass chandy! Amazing! And where did you get those pretty things that you hung on it?

~Heather

Kristin said...

Thanks, everyone!

Mrs. Jones - I got my "crystals" at Jo-Ann Fabrics. The turquoise ones I cute from 2 windchimes, and the green and white ones were bagged in the jewelry aisle. Super cheap and lovely stuff.

Nepperess said...

You definitely have one up on the Anthropologie one. I love yours! Good show!

S. Fantasia said...

Wow. I like yours WAY better than Anthropologie's. Good job.

Megret said...

Love this, love this! I have been wanting to do this for my daughter's room. If only I hadn't tossed three brass chandeliers in the past -- augh!

Dede Warren said...

I couldn't agree more, your version is great! Sassy chandelier, smart girl!

Nichole said...

Wow, that is gorgeous! I love it! I'm agreeing with many others~yours is better than the Anthropologie one. Now I'm on the hunt for something similar to copy your fabulous chandy.

Kim @ Everything Etsy said...

Oh, I like yours better! In fact, it would look just right in my house. Love it!

~Kim

Sandy @ The Scoop on Balance said...

I'm gonna paint mine too. Did you prime it first or just paint it?????

Sandy

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

Yes, we did do a spray paint primer first. Good luck with yours!